Reading Practice: Who Was Queen Elizabeth I?

 

Read the attached article about Queen Elizabeth I. Then take a quiz.

 Reading Practice: Who Was Queen Elizabeth I?


Or

Read a book about Queen Elizabeth I, such as:

 

Several inspirational quotes by Queen Elizabeth I:

1.     "I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too."

    • Explanation: This quote is from a speech Elizabeth I made to her troops at Tilbury in 1588, as they prepared for the impending invasion of the Spanish Armada. It demonstrates her remarkable ability to inspire and lead, despite the gender biases of her era.

2.     "Though the sex to which I belong is considered weak you will nevertheless find me a rock that bends to no wind."

    • Explanation: This quote emphasizes Elizabeth’s resilience and steadfastness as a ruler. She acknowledges the perception of women as weak during her time but asserts her strength and immovable leadership.                                                                                                                                         

3.     "I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people."

    • Explanation: This quote reflects Elizabeth's deep trust and affection for her subjects. It shows her reliance on the support and loyalty of her people, which was a cornerstone of her rule.

4.     "We princes, I tell you, are set on stages in the sight and view of all the world."

    • Explanation: Here, Elizabeth I acknowledges the public nature of her role as a monarch. She understood that her actions and decisions were always under scrutiny, highlighting the pressures and responsibilities of leadership.

5.     "To be a king and wear a crown is a thing more glorious to them that see it than it is pleasant to them that bear it."

    • Explanation: This quote speaks to the burdens and challenges of leadership. Elizabeth I is reflecting on the idea that the splendor and glory associated with being a monarch are often more appealing to those who observe it than to those who actually bear the responsibilities.

6.     "My loving people, we have been persuaded by some that are careful of our safety, to take heed how we commit ourselves to armed multitudes, for fear of treachery; but I assure you I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people."

    • Explanation: This quote, also from her speech at Tilbury, shows Elizabeth's faith in her people and her dismissive attitude towards fear and treachery. It underscores her commitment to her nation and her belief in the loyalty of her subjects.