Reading Practice: The Story of Chinese New Year

 

Read the attached article about Chinese New Year. Then take a quiz.

Reading Practice: The Story of Chinese New Year 


 

Riddles about Chinese New Year:

  1. I explode in the sky with a bang and a crackle, lighting up the night. What am I?
  2. I'm a creature that dances in the streets, bringing luck wherever I go. What am I?
  3. I'm red and filled with luck, given to children for prosperity and joy. What am I?
  4. Eaten for wealth, I'm a favorite treat; I'm pinched at the seams and filled with meat. What am I?
  5. You’ll find me hanging on doors, in pairs, with wishes for the year. What am I?
  6. I'm a festival of light, marking the end of New Year’s delight. What am I?
  7. I'm not a zodiac animal, but I come out every New Year’s Eve. What am I?
  8. I am a plant that’s lucky and tall, symbolizing growth and rise above all. What am I?
  9. I am the color of prosperity, scaring away a beast with ferocity. What am I?
  10. We’re twelve in a cycle, each with our own year. What are we collectively called?
Answer: